Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Star Size Comparison: 2017 Update

Star Size Comparison

View this file on Wikimedia Commons. 

An image I made in 2017 (based on an earlier, outdated picture by Dave Jarvis under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 Unported License - also the license of this work) showing how small our planet is compared to God's creations. Yes, I am the author of this updated version, which replaces and adds a number of stars.

I made this for the Wikipedia List of Largest Stars page when I was the editor JoeyPknowsalotaboutthat. While I have been blocked, the image has spread across multiple Wikimedia projects.

And indeed, this image still has a few inaccuracies and is likely outdated too in 2023; for instance, NML Cygni's size (based on Debeck et al 2010) is possibly inaccurate due to the star likely being cooler, VV Cephei should be a bit smaller at 1,050 solar radii, and UY Scuti's size exceeds the theoretical ~1,500 solar radii limit for stars in the Milky Way.

All Glory to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

4th edition of book is out!

 The 4th edition of my Wikipedia/Pediapress book "Astronomy and Astrophysics: Guide to Planets, Stars, and Beyond" is out now! The...